A big thank you

• The NSW State Emergency Service invited residents of Condobolin and the surrounding areas to a Community Barbecue last Friday. Residents were able to meet members of the SES, RFS, Australian Defence Force and NSW Fire and Rescue, who provided assistance to Condobolin’s flood emergency response efforts. Residents helped farewell the ADF during this community event. Emergency response vehicles and equipment were also on display. ABOVE: Hunter and Jake Doyle (centre) met with FLTLT Lauretta Webster (left) and Captain Ian Goodwin (right) at the Flood Thank You Barbecue at the Condobolin High School last Friday. KP

A lucky escape

The scene on the Kiacatoo Road after the truck lost control and over turned with a load of cotton last Sunday. MB

The drivers side of the cabin was severely damaged and the driver was lucky to escape with only minor injuries. MB & MC

 

By Melissa Blewitt

A 34-year-old man was lucky to escape serious injury when the road train he was driving, overturned at a railway crossing on the Kiacatoo Road near Condobolin, last Sunday afternoon.

The accident occurred at 2.30pm, when the Mack Prime Mover and two trailers, fully loaded with cotton, left the roadway.

The driver has indicated to Police, after he left a property 10 kilometres out of Condobolin on the Kiacatoo Road, as he approached the S-Bend near the Railway Crossing, he tried to apply the brakes of the prime mover, but they didn’t work.

It is believed he took the S-Bend at a speed of approximately 50 kilometres an hour, and as a result the prime mover and trailers overturned.

The driver was trapped in the truck for a short time, before being freed by Emergency Services. He was conveyed to Condobolin Hospital with minor injuries. Local Police, Emergency Services and an Ambulance attended the scene. Half of the road was closed as the clean-up commenced, with heavy lifting equipment brought in, to move the prime mover and trailers.

Investigations are continuing into the accident. If anyone witnessed the incident or has information contact Condobolin Police on 6895 2577.

 

 

Thank you will never be enough

By Melissa Blewitt

 

There was definitely a moment when 34-year-old truck driver Jamie Ingram, thought he might die, after the prime mover he was driving overturned and caught on fire.

He said he was conscious throughout the ordeal, and he cannot thank all those that put their lives on the line to save his, last Sunday afternoon.

“Words cannot express just how grateful I am to all those who were first on the scene,” he said.

“I was trapped in the truck. It was overturned and on fire. But they didn’t think twice about helping me. They put their lives on the line to save mine. There are no words to express how thankful I am for what they did for me.

“If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t be here now. I was awake the whole time, and I thought I was going to burn alive and know everything that was happening.

“They had to cut me free. But they never hesitated. I am so proud to be an Aussie. They were fearless. I will be forever grateful.”

Jamie said he was conveyed to the Condobolin Hospital, and then sent onto Orange Base Hospital for scans. He was discharged late last Sunday night, and he is now recuperating at home in Parkes.

“I just don’t know everyone that was there to help me. I want to say thank you to the Condobolin community for helping me when I needed it the most,” he said.

“I have been a truck driver for a long time. I have seen accidents, but I have never been in such a situation myself until now. Everybody worked together to save my life. They all acted swiftly and bravely.

“The SES, the ambulance, the hospital, the police. All the volunteers that ensured I got out of the truck. Thank you will never be enough. It is a debt that I can never repay.”

Condobolin Ball shows its charitable side

• Jo Thorpe (Treasurer), Dianne Jones (President), Mellissa Hoskings and Fiona Doyle from the Condobolin Pony Club were more than happy to accept a donation from the Condobolin B and S Ball Society. KP

By Melissa Blewitt

Condobolin B and S Society is committed to helping the local community.

The organisation has presented cheques to the United Hospital Auxiliary, the Condobolin Sports Awards, SES, Rotary, Condobolin Preschool, Pony Club, Physical Culture Club and the Rural Fire Service.

President Tara Baxter said an organisation such as the B and S Society could not function without the loyal support of volunteers.

“Condobolin B and S Society would like to thank all the dedicated volunteer organisations who braved the not so favourable weather conditions to help set up and run the annual ball held on the 11 July last year,” she said.

“I cannot stress enough without the dedication from the community and tireless effort from the committee members, with special thanks going to Bruce Patton, Kathy Parnaby, Melissa and Gerald Barby, Rex Press and Chris Jones, this ball wouldn’t go ahead.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to say a massive thank you to Richard McFadyen and Shannon Barby for your help on Sunday after the ball.”

The Condobolin B and S Ball is a not-for-profit event, with all proceeds being donated back into the Condobolin community.

“We owe our gratitude to the patrons who return to Condobolin year after year to attend the ball,” Tara said.

“In 2015, we saw around 400 people brave the elements to attend the event. It was one of the coldest balls we have had for a long time.

“However, this did not deter the patron’s spirits nor the costumes, as they enjoyed the rainy night.

“In 2016, we can only hope that our community and patrons stand strong behind us to provide another successful ball, with hopefully a few exciting changes to come.”

If you want to be part of the Condobolin B and S Committee, contact condowinterbns@hotmail.com or message them via their Facebook page – Condo Winter Bns.

Three houses destroyed by fire

Three house fires in and around Condobolin in just two weeks have the police and fire brigade urging residents to be more vigilant with heaters, fireplaces and clothes dryers.

• The local fire brigade battling to put out the blaze at 11 McGregor Street in Condobolin last Thursday morning. SC

By Lara Pearce and Scott Chamney

Three house fires in and around Condobolin in just two weeks have the police and fire brigade urging residents to be more vigilant with heaters, fireplaces and clothes dryers.

No one has been injured in any of the blazes, but three houses have been burnt to the ground, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage – and the loss of lifetimes of possessions.

Last Thursday 24 July, a house in McGregor Street was burnt to the ground. It was just before 11am that neighbours were alerted to the blaze, which started inside a family home on McGregor Street. Neighbours called emergency services and confirmed that the occupants were unscathed.

Police Sergeant Peter Gibson commended the neighbours for their efforts. “They did what they could with hoses while waiting for fire crews to attend,” he said.

The fire brigade, ambulance and police arrived at the scene and, with the help of the neighbours, located street hydrants and set to work putting out the blaze.

A week earlier, an occupied Department of Housing house was burnt to the ground at 3am on Friday morning. No one was in the building at the time, but the house is unsalvageable, having already been damaged in another blaze only four days earlier.

It is uncertain at present how either of these fires started.

Just the day before on Thursday 17 July, another house on Waitohi Lane on the outskirts of Condobolin was completely destroyed.

The owners of the house called triple ‘0’ that evening, alerting emergency services to the fire.

It is believed that the fireplace may have started the blaze but this is yet to be confirmed.

At each of these incidents, a large crowd has driven up and gathered at the site of the fire. Local police and the fire brigade are warning the community to stay clear to enable clear access for emergency services.

“They may know the person or persons whose house is involved and think that they are helping, but we also know that person and we can help,” said Fire Captain Michael Malouf. “Please be careful and aware of the situation.”

Sergeant Peter Gibson attended the McGregor Street blaze and said that major problems were created by parked cars. “Large fire trucks need plenty of room to access a fire and connect to hydrants,” he said. “When asked to move on by police some people became quite indignant.”

“This behaviour could cause injury or death to persons at the scene. Police ask that the public stay clear of these incidents, not only for their own safety but for the safety and wellbeing of possible victims at the scene.”

He also warned that any house built before 1975 – including the one at 19 Hughes Street – could unleash asbestos on onlookers, posing a serious health risk.

© 2010 Condobolin Argus - Design by Upside Down Websites