By Dominic Geiger
The village of Ungarie experienced its worst flood in over 20 years last week, with 12 properties being evacuated and at least 15 properties experiencing some level of floor flooding.
The water level peaked at 1.7 metres at the height of the flood and cut Ungarie Central School off from the rest of the town.
The town’s sewerage plant was also inundated and Bland Shire Council was forced to provide 30 Porta Loos for residents.
Kathy McConnell, owner of Ungarie Butchery, said the water had risen up to her knees in the back part of the shop.
“We’ve just been cleaning everything with pressure cleaners,” she said.
“The water has gone through the butchery a number of times while we’ve been here, so we weren’t concerned, but every time is different to the last.
“The railway has also broken due to the floods.”
Kathy said despite 30cm of water on the main street, people in the town seemed to be in good spirits.
“There have been a lot of kids yabbying in the main street,” she said.
“The smell isn’t too bad either because we sandbagged pretty heavily.”
The NSW SES service issued an all clear notice at 9:34pm on Thursday the 24th of March.
The statement said despite receding floodwaters, residents were urged not to attempt to walk, ride or drive through still flooded areas.
“This is the main cause of death and injury during floods,” the statement said.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.